Thursday, December 18, 2014

Parenting is hard

"Write these commandments that I’ve given you today on your hearts. Get them inside of you and then get them inside your children. Talk about them wherever you are, sitting at home or walking in the street; talk about them from the time you get up in the morning to when you fall into bed at night. Tie them on your hands and foreheads as a reminder; inscribe them on the doorposts of your homes and on your city gates. (Deuteronomy 6:6-9 MSG)
Ummmmm do these verses worry you?! Am I doing this parenting thing right?! 

Every morning is a battle between my oldest daughter and what it seems like the world. She's not nice or fun in the morning. We have tried everything. If I don't even say anything to her and Let her pick her clothes out she still starts her grumpy, mean attitude. If I kill her with kindness it still doesn't matter. 
She's stubborn and grumpy in the AM and right after school. 

Parenting is hard. 
Trying to be an example to a stubborn child, is hard. 
Being loving when they are being a stinker is hard.  

As my daughter walked out the door this morning in tears from her consequence. It reminded me of the consequences I experienced as a child and teenager. (There was a lot. I was a stinker) sorry mom and dad. 
I just know deep down that if we don't tackle the small issues of the heart now with consequences, my kids won't understand that consequences can be a good thing down the road. 

I wish there was a 3 step process to get your child to not act like satan. 
But there isn't. 

But I have three "things" I'm going to really work on.

1- Understand this is my child's heart issue. I need to draw attention to what is going on in my child's heart and bring that out into the light. We can't chalk it up as "it's just a phase"(which it could be, but still tackle the issue not ignore it) or "she's just hungry or tired" 

2- Disicpline in love. Oh mercy this is so hard when you have told your child over and over and OVER to stop. Or have discussed certain problems 30 minuets prior. I'm a yeller when it comes to this. Lesson learned....your child will be a yeller too. So it's lose lose. 

3. Attitude. MY attitude. I can't let parenting problems guide my attitude into a spiral of doubt, frustration, anger...the list could go on. Instead I need to pray, beg God to guide me and trust that He's got this. My attitude should reflect that of Jesus.
"You must have the same attitude that Christ Jesus had. "(Philippians 2:5 NLT)
And we need to tap into some serious Jesus "super hero/mom powers" that only comes from Him.
"For God has not given us a spirit of fear and timidity, but of power, love and self-discipline ."(2 Timothy 1:7 NLT)

What do you do as a parent to guide your children through their difficult stages in life? 






No comments: